Still thinking about what to contribute to tomorrow’s Thanksgiving feast? We’ve got you covered with Le Colonial‘s Bittersweet Chocolate Cake. This is the perfect amount of sweet at the end of a filling, savory meal. Just make sure you leave some space! ‘Tis the season to indulge (a little) after all.
We’ve got a week left of National Diabetes Awareness Month- which means you still have time to drop by both Le Colonial and Brasserie Ruhlmann to check out our curated and healthy prix-fixe menu, perfect for when you’re tired of cooking and over of all of the Thanksgiving leftovers.
Bittersweet Chocolate Cake
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (61%)
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup sugar-free apricot preserves or apricot spreadable fruit
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups Equal Spoonful or Granulated*
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz of Frangelico liqueur * May substitute 36 packets Equal sweetener
- For Torte, heat 6 tablespoons butter, 4 ounces dark chocolate, milk, preserves and coffee crystals in small saucepan, whisking frequently until chocolate is almost melted.
- Remove pan from heat; continue whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add Equal and Frangelico, whisking until smooth.
- Lightly grease bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan and line with parchment or waxed paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks in large bowl.
- Fold chocolate mixture into egg whites; fold in combined flour and salt.
- Pour cake batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Carefully loosen side of cake from pan with small sharp knife, which will keep cake from cracking as it cools.
- Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled.
- Remove cake from pan and place on serving plate.
- Garnish top of cake with dollop of crème fraiche, fresh raspberries and fresh mint, if desired.
- Cut cake into wedges.