I love using spirulina as an additional source of protein in my diet, not to mention it contains a multitude of benefits. According to draxe.com, just one 3-gram serving of spirulina contains:
- 60% protein and an excellent source of vitamins A, K1, K2, B12 and iron, manganese and chromium.
- A rich source of health-giving phytonutrients such as carotenoids, GLA, SOD and phycocyanin.
- 2800% more beta-carotene than carrots.
- 3900% more iron than spinach!
The best part about this meal is that I have the versatility of making it in a smoothie or a bowl based on my preference for the morning!
1 tsp spirulina
1 tbsp hemp seeds
6 oz of coconut or nut milk
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. hemp seeds
Handful of pineapple
Handful of Almonds
- Add the banana, pineapple, spirulina, unsweetened coconut or nut milk and hemp seeds, to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding extra milk as needed to create your preferred consistency.
- Pour the spirulina mixture into a bowl and top with sliced fruit, chia and hemp seeds, or any toppings you prefer.
- If you prefer to make a smoothie, pour the mixture into a to-go cup.