This hearty vegetarian dish will provide you with ample protein and carbohydrates to help you make it through the morning. If you’re not sensitive to dairy, you can also add mozzarella cheese as a topping.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini (courgette), diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup (160 g) frozen chopped spinach
- ¼ cup (25 g) pitted black olives, sliced
- ½ teaspoon
- dried rosemary
- 4 eggs
- 2 gluten-free English muffins, split in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini (courgette), tomato, spinach, olives, and rosemary, lightly season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 5 minutes until the zucchini and tomato are softened and the spinach is heated through.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs. Fill a skillet (frying pan) with water and bring the water to a low boil. Break the eggs directly into the simmering water and cook for about 4 minutes until the yolk is as you desire.
- While the eggs are poaching, toast the muffins in a toaster.
- To assemble, place two muffin halves on each plate and top each muffin half with some sautéed vegetables and a poached egg.
Per serving: 489 kcals, 27.7 g fat (1.2 g saturates), 30.3 g carbohydrate (6.9 g sugars), 25.1 g protein, 7.4 g fiber, 2.2 g salt
Recipe from The Everything You Need To Know About Diabetes Cookbook by Dr. Karin M Hehenberger, MD, PhD (CICO Books, $19.95) Photography © CICO Books