Italian Christmas Cake Recipe that you have dreaming for. Ever tried to make a Christmas tree for dessert during the festive season? This is the no fuss, no bake Italian Christmas Cake recipe filled with creamy Italian custard and topped with fresh fruit that will WOW your guests and make the perfect centrepiece on your dessert table.
Watch the Pandoro Farcito (Italian Christmas Cake) video recipe:
“The key ingredient for this Christmas Cake is Pandoro, a moist, star-shaped cake traditionally enjoyed by Italians at Christmas time. The name is derived from the Italian words “Pan d’oro” which mean golden bread! It took a century to perfect the Veronese recipe from when it was first developed and the number one brand in Italy is Bauli. Thanks to Basile imports, I have created a mouth-watering recipe using Bauli Pandoro for you and your family to enjoy – and it’s also a pretty instagrammable one too!” Vincenzo’s Plate.
1 x Bauli Pandoro (750g)
8 egg yolks
2-3 slices of lemon rind
Vanilla bean (stick)
Sachet of Bauli Icing sugar (it comes with the Pandoro!)
2 x medium size mixing bowls
1 x medium size saucepan
1 x sieve
1 x whisk
1 x piping bag
Large offset spatula
1 x long sharp knife
To Make the Italian Custard
1. Add 400g sugar to a mixing bowl and sift in 100g plain flour.
2. Transfer this into a medium size saucepan and put it on a stove at a low-medium temperature.
3. Add 1L of fresh milk and 8 egg yolks and stir to combine using a whisk.
4. Drop in a few strips of lemon rind, a cinnamon stick and a vanilla bean.
5. Stir gently and continuously while on heat for 5-10 minutes or until you see it start to thicken and form. Remove from heat.