Tofu with Panko
My kids LOVE tofu any way they can have it. But this is by far their favorite we have to make 2 bricks. Sometimes we use it with stir fry but mostly an after school snack. The extra firm works best for this recipe. Using Panko breadcrumbs brings the carbs down and we have even done it with almond meal! Add your favorite dipping sauce to compliment this a protein packed snack.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- You can add garlic powder, Chili flakes or any seasoning you love
- Vegetable oil
- After the tofu has been pressed, cut into 1-inch squares.
- Season panko if desired. Dip tofu in egg and then in panko. Make sure all sides are covered in panko.
- Add a large frying pan and fill with 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Heat over medium heat until the oil is hot.
- Add panko-covered tofu bites to hot oil and cook until crispy and browned on all sides.